An attempt to ride 14,950 Kilometres in around 50 days, solo and unsupported, and break the record for riding around Australia (third AND FINAL attempt).

Round Australia by bike - Day 015 - Cape Crawford

 

Day:015
Date:

Monday, 10 August 2009

Start:

Barkly Homestead

Finish:

50km short of Cape Crawford

Daily Kilometres:

326

Total Kilometres: 
Podcasts:Here
Journal:

My four hours of sleep was interrupted multiple times by some drunks arguing and carousing outside the motel rooms.  I got up and left by 2:30am and set off on the road with no services or habitation for 376km.  I was already pessimistic because the weather forecast was for northerly winds.  They were blowing but only lightly at first.  Fatigue caught up with me early and I needed a 15 minute catnap at 4am, followed by two hours at 5am.  I could not keep my eyes open.  Momentum was already lost for the big day.  When I resumed riding the wind was much stronger and there was a slight uphill gradient as the road climbed onto the prairie-like Barkly Tablelands.  I struggled to keep my speed above 15kph for about four hours by which time I was exhausted and well behind schedule.  The scenery was spectacular with grassland reaching to the horizon in all directions.  In the afternoon the wind diminished and I made better progress, but had no hope of reaching Cape Crawford in time for a bed.  Met grey nomads at the only two rest areas and they offered food and water to me which was gratefully accepted.  Around 11pm I began to lose the plot and decided I had to stop.  I found a poor spot off the road and slept fitfully and cold for five hours on the stony ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment