An attempt to ride 14,950 Kilometres in around 50 days, solo and unsupported, and break the record for riding around Australia (third AND FINAL attempt).

Round Australia by bike - Day 016 - Cape Crawford to Daly Waters

 

Day:016
Date:

Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Start:

50km short of Cape Crawford

Finish:

Daly Waters

Daily Kilometres:

320

Total Kilometres: 
Podcasts:Here here
Journal:

I got on the road around 4am, still very tired and rode the 50km to Cape Crawford, arriving around 6:30am and had to wait for them to open at 7am.  It’s a pleasant shady campground and roadhouse with nice lawns in the middle of the outback.  I bought breakfast and some sandwiches for later in the day and set off westwards for the 270km to Daly Waters where I had already booked a motel room.  I was much later than expected, having planned to have an early start from Cape Crawford originally.  It became a very warm day as the road climbed on to a forested plateau and decided early on not to force the pace because of fatigue and the heat.  I’m seriously thinking about having a couple of easy days in the next week to catch up on some sleep and switch to a 51 day schedule.  Around 4pm with 140km to go the road became easier and the wind shifted to an easterly and I made fast progress to Daly Waters, although it was still 9:30pm by the time I arrived.  I bought some dinner and supplies for tomorrow and will see whether or not I continue at this pace or have the easier days.

No comments:

Post a Comment